Thursday, July 25, 2013

READ THE LABEL!

So I'm sitting in the library reaching for the magazine rack next to the sink and I see one of those pharmaceutical ads – the ones that make up at least half of all magazine ads. The woman says she uses artificial tears all the time, so she went to see the doctor and she told her she has a disease! Horror! So they are selling some drug with a ridiculous name (I won't name it here). I see it says at the bottom of the full page ad to see the next page for a brief summary of the full product information. It also reminds me that my results may vary.

I flip over and look at the small print. My eye which is plenty moist is drawn to the toxicology part. It is divided into three categories: carcinogenesis, mutagenesis and impairment of fertility. Translation: does it cause cancer, does it damage genes and will it make you sterile. It says right in the first paragraph that in a mouse study for 78 weeks that “statistically significant” incidence was found for lymphocytic lymphomas in female mice and hepatocellular carcinomas in males. OMG. They are saying it caused cancer. Right there. I don't care if they force fed the mice their daily body weight in it. I'm going to take something that causes cancer when ingested and put it on my eye? I don't think so!

I am completely appalled that a company can sell something they acknowledge causes cancer and people will buy it. For dry eyes! Many people take conscious steps to increase their health and avoid cancer – look at the amount of sun screen sold, yet most of those same people would be shocked to know that the product they took that was recommended by their doctor and a magazine ad will increase their cancer risk.


I guess it is no small victory for the people that the companies have to put that info out there, but who reads it? I'm sure there would be corporate types saying “well, we told them”. Yes, they did. Everyone, please read labels – at least know what you are putting on your eyes or maybe giving to your children.

Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment